Search Mangiare Benne!

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Truffles


When someone says truffle.....do you think of a fungus or a chocolate? :-)

I'm not a mushroom fan, so of course, I think of chocolates. But these luscious, smooth, amazing chocolate treats hae a very interesting background. Chocolate truffles got their name because they were traditionally rolled in Dutch process cocoa, which made them look like the fungal variety, covered in dirt.

Many many many people would disagree with me, but I think that the chocolate variety tastes a bazillion times better than the fungal variety.

Here's my best recipe for chocolate truffles. Enjoy.

Ingredients:

For truffle mixture:
8 oz (by weight) of semisweet or bittersweet chocolate (highest quality available), chopped
3/4 cup heavy cream
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
2 Tablespoons liquor (optional), I have used Kahlua, Baileys, and rum all with good results

For truffle coatings:
Dutch process cocoa
Toasted and chopped nuts (any kind)
Coconut
Sprinkles
Shaved chocolate


Directions:

Place the chopped chocolate in a stainless steel bowl and set aside.

Heat the cream and butter over medium-high heat until it comes to a boil. Immediately remove from heat and pour over the chopped chocolate. Let it sit for 5 minutes.

Whisk the cream and chocolate together until very smooth. If desired, mix in liquor.

Cover and store in refrigerator until truffle mixture is firm (at least 3-4 hours, but overnight is usually best).

Place coatings on plates or in shallow bowls.

Scoop truffle mixture out with a small cookie scoop (I can sell you an amazing one, haha) into a bite sized ball. roll in truffle mixture of your choice.

These can be refrigerated for a couple of weeks or even frozen for longer preservation. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I'm definitely with you on the chocolate variety vs. the fungal variety but then again I own a sweets shop so are you really surprised? :)

    I'm going to try this recipe...it's a little different than the one I have that is hit or miss on success rate. How did the Ghiradelli chocolate work and what is your preferred brand?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Ghiradelli chocolate seemed to work just fine. The batch that I made this week was with bittersweet chocolate (which I LOVE, but of course the more popular is the semi-sweet). I don't recommend using Dutch Process Cocoa as a coating with bittersweet chocolate, though. It's just too bitter. You definitely need a nutty or sweet coating to offset the bitterness.

    I prefer Guittard, but you can't get it here. )-:

    ReplyDelete